Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Simple Food Day

Last night we decided we would go to an early show of "True Grit" today.  Yesterday I had made tofu scramble and home fries for breakfast, so today, I went the other direction and made Maple Pecan Waffles out of the book 1000 Vegan Recipes.  It was only my second time using the waffle iron I got on black Friday, and they turned out great.  I undercooked a couple to freeze and then toast later.  Hopefully that will work out.

We went to the movie around 1.  It was pretty good.  Not our favorite Coen brothers thing ever, but I think most of the time, their movies have to grow on me.  The only exceptions were "Blood Simple" and "Raising Arizona," both of which I loved immediately.  There was some good acting, especially Matt Damon, who I am liking more as he gets older.  I can't say I have been much of a fan up until this year.  

When we got home, we were both starving and I had a headache, so it was very important to make something quick and easy.  I bought some gigantic tortillas the other day, thinking of making big ol' burritos a la Moe's or Chipotle, and I noticed I also had some cheddar-style Daiya (for you non-vegans, Daiya is the new vegan wonder-cheeze; I'll post more about it another time).  So quesadillas seemed like a good idea.  I sauteed up some mushrooms & onions and included them so I could say I had some veggies today.

I served these up with some salsa and Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream.  They were great!  I think next time I probably would add a bell pepper and some extra heat from red pepper flakes or cayenne, but this was a great meal to eat in a pinch.


Hooray for finger food!

We spent the rest of the afternoon listening to some records we scored at Newbury Comics Norwood yesterday, using John's Christmas gift card.  We got 9 records for $9, most of which were in decent shape!  Some other stuff that was more expensive too, but it was worth it.  It's supposed to be a bit snowy tonight, so I am going to go make barbecue tofu and mashed potatoes, maybe with some spinach or broccoli so I will have eaten something green today, and then try to go to bed so I am rested for tomorrow.  Tomorrow at 10:06 AM CST, I will turn 33!  So we have some birthday plans in store, including a trip to New Hampshire to try a vegan restaurant we haven't been to yet.  Excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment